Wednesday, February 22, 2006

'Wireless clinic'

What do you think when, in order to get wireless internet at the university, you are being told to go to the wireless clinic? Of course, the first thing I asked was: does my laptop have to get shots? But, yesterday I finally forced myself to experience what it means to go to the 'wireless clinic'. My laptop and I (although admittedly shivering) moved slowly towards the room which was supposed to be the place where all the horror took place. And, I have to say..... I could not really prevent laughing when I saw what it meant to be in the clinic. It really does remind you of going to the doctor. Not only is the word 'clinic' very badly chosen and deceiving where it concerns laptops, but the room was very very unhealthy as well. You walk into a room where there is a big round table with 3 people sitting around it. These 3 people are accompanied by someone with a 'sick' laptop. These sessions take up a lot of time :S. (annoying when it is time you don't have). In front of the table there are 3 to 4 rows of chairs and there are chairs on both sides of the room as well. On those chairs are the future victims seated. No................ not the owners, but the laptops are the ones which will have to suffer this time (or once again as the laptop would argue). After waiting for an hour, it was finally my laptop's turn. I guided and supported my friend as well as possible, but seriously trauma was done to it. Now, it is not only functioning without it's anti-virus, but it has also entered the massive world of wireless internet at the university and is able to print from the printer at the library. (imagine all the pressure which is now put on my laptop!!!!). Yes, me was very happy after this event. I did not really participate in the International criminal law class afterwards (how could one, when one finally has internet again!!!!!). And more amazing news is that the NTL company was actually on time this morning and now I have wireless internet@home :D. So, I am back in civilisation again!