Flat, flatter, flattest
Searching for common ground between the Netherlands and Australia
Searching for common ground between the Netherlands and Australia
Yes, it's about time again that I moved my behind to another country. So, this time I decided to go as far away as possible, or at least try to get as close as possible to the place that would be furthest away from the Netherlands. My trip will take me to Australia, which supposedly is the flattest country in the world. Well, having read quite a bit about Australia by now and having seen the pictures I would not exactly call it a flat country, but at least it is a feature it has in common with the Netherlands. And I also appear to be not the first nor the last Dutch person to feel appealed to this continent. Many went before me and many will follow. I think there are some 72.000 Dutchies spread across Australia and another 200.000 Australians with some Dutch blood somewhere in their ancestral blood line. However, if you read the books and guides about Australia you really wonder why in God's name you are actually heading over there. If you want to be completely safe you should not go swimming (coz there may be box jelly fish, crocs, sharks, tidal rips, stone fish and whatever else someone invented to drop there), you should not go hiking (coz there are snakes, spiders, killer birds, aggressive koalas and other tiny bugs) or sleep (coz a spider might decide to crawl up your nose). This is the continent with the most deadly animals and they come in an unprecedented multitude... I mean, New Zealand is just around the corner but apparently they were not as "blessed" as Australia. So before I said that I could survive anything if I survived India. I have to nuance this remark. Having survived India I can probably survive quite a bit from an emotional point of view. If I manage to survive Australia (animal wise people, coz I know I will have a blast over there and will not want to return) I will be able to survive anyting physically... unless of course I bump into a helpful child soldier or a rabies infected monkey or a langmine or or or.......... Never mind :) Let's just say that the guide books discourage the faint hearted :)I always realise that my departure date is approaching when I look at the bottle of yoghurt or milk.... the most confronting moment being when the due date is either on or after my departure date.... Or when movies or new series are introduced on tv and the date from which they will start..... then you realise: wow I will not be able to see that because I will be gone by then....... And so it is time and time again. This time I will be flying to Sydney on 14 February. So yes, already next week! I am very much looking forward to moving again...... or maybe not so much the part where I move and am once again allowed to bring only 20 kg (seriously: 20 kg for 10 months, for 4 seasons, for work, study, leisure and sports, for 2 continents (Oz and China. They are just nasty!)..... but the part where I finally get to go to the country I always wanted to go to...... It is rather funny where you end up when you are not able to find a job... but again, I ain't complaining :D I'll start doing that in case I cannot find a job by January 2009...... for now I am happy that I have been given (well I'm paying for it so maybe not really given) the opportunity to live my dream.......
Another feature Australia seems to have in common with the Netherlands at the moment is rain! Yes rain! Exactly the one thing I was trying to escape as I have not seen much else but rain since I went to London February last year.... Ok my stay in Syria gave me one month of blistering heat... the other extreme with 60 degrees celsius and no airconditioning...... I for one hope to still be able to see some sun and have a nice temperature before I launch myself in another winter... Yes I am messing with the seaons... I will go from Dutch winter, into Aussie winter, into Dutch winter again next year December when I plan to go back to the Netherlands. Lucky me :D At least I can put on my cv that I am an expert where rain is concerned :) I had horizontal rains in Ireland, torrential rain in the US, Dutch rain in yes.... the Netherlands, and some UK down poor :) My umbrella will be soooo happy to be invited to join me on this trip!
I hope all is well with you all and I'll keep you posted on my adventures :D Hopefully throughout this year you'll hear stories about stunt flying, skydiving, scuba diving, horse riding, zorbing, helicopter flights, hikes and funky animals and much much more :D See you there!

1 comment:
heel veel succes in het verre Australiƫ!!!!!!!!!!!!! We zullen je missen!!
Post a Comment